Wednesday, February 2, 2011

"chúc mừng năm mới"


I am very fascinated by certain aspects of Asian culture. One of my favorite past supervisors at work calls me Amerasian. She is Vietnamese. I love her. I get to her to teach me as much as possible. These are two envelopes I received today, there are $2 bills in them, you don't spend, they are thought to bring good luck and wealth in the lunar new year. There are several traditions, here is some info via Wikipedia:

Chinese New Year is the longest and most important festivity in the Chinese Lunisolar Calendar. The origin of Chinese New Year is itself centuries old and gains significance because of several myths and traditions. Ancient Chinese New Year is a reflection on how the people behaved and what they believed in the most.
Early the next morning, children will greet their parents by wishing them a healthy and happy new year, and receive money in red paper envelopes. The Chinese New Year tradition is to reconcile, forget all grudges and sincerely wish peace and happiness for everyone.





No comments:

Post a Comment